I read this article recently. In the article there was a quote. It was written that a road map’s no good without a destination. While I understand that the author was just using a simple analogy to make his point, I just have to add my thoughts about how road maps are much more than the fastest path from point A to B.
I love maps. Here are some other things I think maps have to offer:
- A map shows you where you are so that you can decide the best route. (planning)
- There are hundreds of paths to the same destination. Without a map how do you know the best route for you? (resources)
- The map shows you all the stops along the way. (benchmarks)
- Exploring alternative routes with no destination in mind is the best way to gain new perspectives. (flexibility)
- Knowing the distance and when you arrive. (evaluation)
Of course, he was just talking about the end statement and I guess I am considering the process. For me, the journey’s the thing.