on marriage and prop 8
From the Dallas Observer blog a commentor offer this:
“I’m one of those libertarian whackjobs who think the government should get out of marriage. Marriage is a religious institution. Anything else is special form of legal partnership/civil union. The government should offer a standard legal partnership/civil union contract. Anything that does not fit that contract would have to be drawn up on their own (preferably with a good family law attorney).”
I am not a libertarian whackjob but it sums up my opinion perfectly. Other than that, I am pretty sick of the issue and more importantly how it is used almost exclusively as a political wedge. I’d much rather legislators concern themselves with the economy in light of the 32% loss my retirement account has suffered in the last 5 months.
oh, and, Separation of church and state is an illusion.
- RT @DentonCountyTX: In the second Community Conversation and Campaign Kickoff, this time in southern Denton County, a panel discusses @Unit…_______ 4 days ago
- RT @UnitedWayDenton: “Helping people stay housed is better than trying to help people get off the street.” @danishaw #UNITED4DentonCounty…_______ 4 days ago
- The first #CDBG construction project I will oversee from start to finish thanks to my fabulous Community Developmen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…_______ 1 week ago
- My new mantra for solving complex social issues, “This is not checkers; this is motherf’in chess.” -Ben Horowitz in… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…_______ 1 week ago
- RT @MarciPritts: “It’s the nonprofits that have the skill sets to solve problems in Denton County.” - Donna Barron, City Manager of @Lewisv…_______ 1 week ago